Brown Bag & Hard Hat Campaign
The Alleghany Historical Society was formed in 1958 and still maintains a mission to preserve the heritage of what is now the Alleghany Highlands. Quarterly meetings were and are designed to inform members and the public of various people, events and places significant to the region and to encourage the study of local history. The Society was responsible for placing several historic markers along the area's roadways. The installation of the Covington Main Street lampposts, which were replicas of those produced by the Covington Machine Company around the early part of the 20th Century, was among the Society 's efforts to connect the modern era with historic utilities.
In recent years, the Society has ventured into historic restoration which has included rehabilitation of the Covington C&O Depot complex, the preservation of the historic Lawrence-Stephenson House on Riverside Street, and the repurposing of 100 year old retail buildings on Maple Avenue to house the Alleghany Highlands Industrial Heritage and Technology Discovery. In the various projects, the Alleghany Historical Society has leveraged funding from individuals, businesses, corporate donors, foundations, local government, and state agencies. The Alleghany Foundation has invested more than $1.5 million toward the successful completions of Society projects. Working with the City of Covington, the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Department of Housing and Community Development have provided nearly $1 million in grants for the depot project and the Discovery Center. While the Society recognizes and appreciates the significant funding provided by the Nettleton Foundation and WestRock, substantial support comes from donors of all giving levels. Membership is open to all for a modest annual fee. Contact the Society at (540) 965-0149 or write to P.O. Box 384, Covington, VA 24426.
Alleghany Historical Society
Employer id number (ein)
AddressPO BOX 384