NOTE: AIRE Nebraska was previously known as Attack On Asthma Nebraska until last year - technical difficulties are preventing us from switching the name in all areas of the Razoo page. Thanks for your understanding!
In the late 1990's, there were two students who died at a Nebraska school due to asthma. The community pulled together and a protocol was developed to save lives at school in case of a breathing emergency.
This protocol, Emergency Response to Life-Threatening Asthma or Systemic Allergic Reactions (Anaphylaxis) directs school staff, based on signs and symptoms, to administer non-patient specific epinephrine, follwed by nebulized albuterol and calling emergency personnel. This protocol saves lives!
All schools in Nebraska - public, parochial and private - are now prepared to respond to life-threatening asthma and anaphylaxis emergencies.
AIRE Nebraska (Asthma/Anaphylaxis Intervention Resources & Education) has assisted schools statewide with General Education materials for all staff, training for Emergency Response Team members, medication expenses, equipment purchasing and we continue to develop tools such as Action Plans, tip sheets for parents and a quick-relief medication poster. AIRE Nebraska is dedicated to keeping kids, and staff, members breathing at school.
Asthma is the most common chronic childhood illness and the majority of these Nebraska students are in school without action plans and medication in case of emergency. Asthmatic emergencies are the most common breathing situations occurring at school.
Severe allergies to foods, medications, stinging insects, latex can become life-threatening very quickly and there is only one way to turn that cascade of life-threatening symptoms around - epinephrine. Data shows that 20% of all first-time allergic reactions occur at school.
The protocol is used in Nebraska schools an average of 50 times each school year and has saved many students and school staff from certain death and/or severe complications due to these life-threatening breathing emergencies.
In Lincoln/Lancaster County, AIRE Nebraska also works with schools on policies and best practices for food and other life-threatening allergies, tobacco-free campuses and presents General Education to school staff, as well as working with the local communities of Malcolm, Raymond and, currently, Denton, to encourage the village boards to promote tobacco-free parks and recreation areas. These three communities have done a great job promoting healthy behaviors and role models by doing this for their community patrons and visitors.
We need your help to continue ~
Your child's life, grandchild's life, niece or nephew's life, or someone else you know - their life may depend on this type of education and awareness.