Auntie Litter, Inc., a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Birmingham, is dedicated to promoting a clean and healthy environment. Founded in 1990, our organization has been honored with numerous awards for our innovative educational program based on the anti-litter character, “Auntie Litter.” Through live presentations, educational workshops, and comprehensive teaching strategies and tools, young people, their families, and educators learn how to conserve our natural resources, eliminate litter in our communities, and practice the environmental 3 R’s: reuse, reduce waste, and recycle. The Auntie Litter approach makes learning about the environment fun, interactive, and lasting. Auntie Litter wants “to do for the environment what Uncle Sam has done for patriotism.” An Auntie Litter educator, dressed in a recognizable uniform of green, white, and blue with patriotic stars and stripes, can motivate people of all ages, socioeconomic backgrounds to take action in environmental protection.
A few of our annual programs include:
- Auntie Litter’s Annual Earth Day Parade and Celebration for children in downtown Birmingham, includes educational exhibits, science shows, and live entertainment and the nation's largest Earth Day Parade of Children.
- The Annual Take Pride Statewide Conference and Program at Samford University in Birmingham, unites representatives from municipalities, schools, and businesses throughout Alabama. The educational materials distributed to the attendees for their communities reach more than 500,000 citizens statewide.
- Live Presentations for Schools by our Auntie Litter Educators reach 30,000- 50,000 children annually.
- Auntie Litter serves as a member of the ALabama Partners for Clean Air and works in conjunction with local school systems, business, and organizations to improve the air quality in the greater Birmingham Area to meet the standards set by the U.S.E.P.A.
- Auntie Litter's environmental education lesson plans will soon be available online on ALEX (Alabama's Learning Exchange) through the Alabama Department of Education.
Awards and Honors
- Former President George H. Bush’s Take Pride in America Award
- Daughters of the American Revolution Conservation Award
- Girl Scouts of America Woman of Distinction Award
- 1996 Olympic Games Community Hero and Olympic Torchbearer
- Former President Bill Clinton’s Point of Light
- Feature story on CNN Headline News
- EPA’s Clean Air Excellence Award for Education and Outreach in 2007
- CNN Headline News
- ABC National News
- Channel One In-School Programming
- USA Today
- Family Circle
- Weekly Reader
- Recycling Today
- Waste Age
- Woman’s World
- Country America