Caroline County Humane Society (CCHS) was founded in 1994 by a group of dedicated volunteers in memory of Christina Blades-Fleetwood. Truly a grass-roots organization, early meetings were held in the courthouse in Denton Maryland. Animals in need were housed wherever space could be found and adoptable animals lived in volunteer homes until a new home could be found. Cruelty investigations were carried out in volunteer vehicles and the CCHS telephone was installed in a board member’s home.
In 1995, we expanded our vision with the dream of constructing a new shelter. In 1996, we applied for and received our 501c3 non-profit status. In 1998, we worked with the County to create the first ever Animal Control Ordinance in Caroline County. In 2000, thanks to a grant and loan from the USDA, the shelter in Ridgely became reality. Our contract with the county grew to include the enforcement of the County animal control ordinance, the operation of the newly built shelter, and providing Humane Services in Caroline County.
We care for approximately 1500 abandoned, neglected, abused and homeless animals every single year. We maintain an active adoption and rescue program to place our pets in loving homes. We have a Community Pet Pantry as a resource for the community. We recently started a TNR program to help control the population of free-roaming cats. We could not do all this without the support of our community, volunteer and foster families.
The Caroline County Humane Society takes quiet pride in how far we have come. Through dedication, commitment and our love for the animals, we have made a difference; a difference not only in the lives of thousands of animals who were given a second chance, but in our community and in the lives of the citizens of our county that we serve. From our humble beginnings 30 years ago, we are proud to be called “the little shelter that could.”