Equitas Health is a regional nonprofit community healthcare system that seeks to be the gateway to good health for those affected by HIV/AIDS, LGBTQ people, and anyone seeking a welcoming healthcare home.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to shape our daily lives, Equitas Health is re-imagining how our patients and communities access primary care, support services and accurate information during this public health emergency.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, here are some ways Equitas Health has adapted to meet the growing needs of our communities:
- Telehealth has moved the forefront as a critical service delivery system for primary medical care, trans health, HIV specialty care, PrEP care, and behavioral health services.
- Our financial counselors are helping new and existing patients navigate their health insurance and affordability of coverage due to COVID-related employment changes. We continue to not refuse anyone, regardless of their ability to pay, and offer an income-based sliding fee scale for uninsured and under-insured patients.
- We continue offering free delivery of most prescriptions from our pharmacy so treatment does not stop because of the pandemic.
- Case managers have served over 5,300 unique clients and delivered 150 grocery orders to front porches for food insecure clients.
- Since the beginning of March, our Housing team has placed 29 individuals living with HIV in permanent housing and assisted 87 individuals with short-term rental and/or utility assistance to maintain their housing.
- Equitas Health HIV testing sites are among the few to remain open during the pandemic. Our HIV Hotline team has also been mailing free condoms and HIV Home Test Kits to people across Ohio.
- The Safe Point team, with personal protective equipment, continue the life-saving syringe access and naloxone distribution program to continue fighting the concurrent opiate epidemic.
- With social distancing, many are now confined in homes with abusers. The Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization (BRAVO) expanded its outreach services to include safe meeting spaces for LGBTQ+ people who are sheltering in unsafe, or non-affirming environments.
Equitas Health staff provide care to our communities with determination, hope and compassion each and every day. Make a donation today to support our evolving response to COVID-19 to keep patients and clients safe, healthy, and in care.