Foundation for Advancement of Haitian Midwives, Inc (FAHM) is a 501(c)(3) and educational non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and aiding Haitian midwives, midwifery associations, education programs and midwifery students living in Haiti, where there are high rates of maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality.
In furtherance of these purposes, FAHM shall assist Haitian midwives in promoting the midwifery profession and model of care in Haiti so that midwives can be positioned as public health leaders in their community.
FAHM envisions a future in which midwifery is a viable profession, midwifery education programs are sustainable and every community throughout Haiti has access to the midwifery model of care which has been proven to decrease maternal and infant morbidity and mortality.
· providing financial, organizational, educational and developmental support to midwifery associations, education programs and midwifery students in Haiti
· raising funds to support and strengthen midwifery associations and education in Haiti
· disseminating information and providing technical assistance to midwifery associations, education programs and midwifery students in Haiti
· promoting the profession of midwifery through consumer education/awareness, outreach, strengthening Haitian professional midwifery associations in Haiti's 10 departments
· conducting any and all lawful activities which may be useful in accomplishing the foregoing purposes
· Identify and establish partnerships with individuals and organizations aligned with our values/guiding principles
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES & BELIEFS
· Midwives play a critical role in public health.
· We believe in the autonomy of the Haitian people and that the outcomes that are best for Haitians should be determined by Haitians.
· Our work is guided by the goals of the Haitian midwifery community and the needs of the population.
· We believe in the inherent dignity of all. We respect the integrity, dignity and privacy of all of our partners. Our work is guided by principles of integrity, dignity, and privacy.
· We believe in sustainable development and reject the model of charity.