What do the Friends do?
- Our main focus is programming, programming, programming – providing funds for all adult and children's library programming, including films, book discussions, story hours, writing workshops, arts & crafts, and summer reading programs, all of which are free of charge.
- Friends provide free or reduced charge membership passes to area museums and agencies, allowing families to explore the many independent museums and regional parks in Western Massachusetts.
- We support the Homebound Delivery Program – a valuable book and people connection.
- We also run and sponsor the annual Poet's Seat Poetry Contest, a program which has just celebrated its 32nd year.
Donations to the Friends support our mission and enable us to, in turn, sponsor new programs like these, offered by the Greenfield Public Library, including:
- Meet Your Neighbors – a monthly virtual opportunity to:
- talk with local authors and journalists
- discuss backyard chickens and summer recipes, and
- learn about the Greenfield Garden Club
- "Take and Make" kits - opportunities for both young and old to flex their creative muscles.
- Story Walks (with a Poetry Walk, Summer Reading Walk and a Poet’s Seat Walk).
Funding for the Friends comes from our annual membership campaign, various raffles, and annual fundraising events.