National Federation of the Blind of Idaho

A nonprofit organization

15 Donors

The National Federation of the Blind of Idaho knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality

Who Are the NFB of Idaho?

The National Federation of the Blind of Idaho is the only organization that believes in the full capacity of blind people, and has the power, influence, diversity, and determination to help transform our dreams into reality. We believe in blind people because we are blind people. Our democratically elected leaders and our diverse statewide membership are made up of blind people, our families, and our friends. We are bound together by our belief that the blind are capable of achieving our dreams and living the lives we want, and by the love and respect we have for one another and for all blind Americans. We support one another, act with courage and determination when we encounter barriers or experience setbacks, and engage in hard work to improve our lives.

There are over 36,500 blind citizens in Idaho alone !!

There are over 6.6 million blind Americans nationwide !!

Of these Americans 18 years old thru 64 years old only 22.83% have jobs and the other 77.17% are unemployed. These numbers DO NOT include the tens of thousands of blind veterans that have proudly served our country.

Our organization sometimes is the only thing that stands between these people and a life of ignorance, poverty, despair and even suicide.

Making a Difference in Education of the Blind

The National Federation of the Blind of Idaho recognizes that education is the key that opens the door of opportunity for anyone, including the blind. With the understanding that education begins with literacy, we have established a free week long summer day camp for blind children, ages 4 to 12, to learn and increase their braille reading skills in a fun environment. This is called our BELL program. BELL is the acronym for Braille Enrichment for literacy and learning. This continues to be a fun and valuable resource for blind children and for parents opf blind children. Thanks to the support of the wonderful people in Idaho we are looking forward to host three BELL camps this year in 2016, which is an increase of one from recent years. If you know a blind child, or the parents of a blind child, we would love to speak with you. This year our BELL camps will be hosted in Boise, Lewiston, and Idaho FAlls. You can find our contact information at Http:// .

We of the NFBI also recognize the importance of higher education in the pursuit of meaningful employment and of a fulfilling career. As a result, each year the National Federation of the Blind of Idaho awards college scholarships to blind college students. It is our goal to increase the number of scholarships that we award and the dollar amount for each scholarship. In 2016 we awarded three college scholarships. These scholarships were in the amount of $2,500, $1,500, and $1,000. We had eight deserving applicants and only three scholarships. Each applicant has specific requiremants to be eligible and must also submit an essay to be reviewed by a scholarship committee.

5 Reasons to Become a Member of the National Federation of the Blind of Idaho

1 Find hope and move forward after vision loss.

2. Access local and nationwide networks of blind people who can provide information and support about all aspects of living, working, learning, and thriving as a blind person.

3. Work with other blind people to change misconceptions about blindness, policies and laws that affect the blind, and the individual lives of people who are blind or who are losing vision.

4. Meet and make friends with blind people who share your profession, hobbies, interests, or goals.

5. Learn about and select the right technology for your active and productive life as a blind person.

You’ll also have access to all of the following services and resources:

The world’s largest audio information service for the blind, NFB-NEWSLINE®, is free to anyone who is legally blind. NFB-NEWSLINE® makes over four hundred newspapers and magazines, as well as TV schedules, localized emergency weather alerts, and job listings, available on demand to blind readers by telephone, online, or via an iPhone/iPad app.

Organization Data


Organization name

National Federation of the Blind of Idaho

Tax id (EIN)



BOISE, ID 83712



How can we help?

Suggested articles

  • How does my nonprofit get started on Mightycause?
  • Why use Mightycause?
  • What is Mightycause?