Founded in 1900 by M. Jennie Kendall, the NH Humane Society was formerly known as the Women’s Humane Society. Originally located in Nashua, NH, the organization worked tirelessly for the welfare of women, children and animals.
Mission and Purpose
The Women’s Humane Society made its way to Laconia in 1935 and worked in conjunction with the southern branches until 1968. It was then that the Laconia shelter assumed sole responsibility for the animal welfare portion of Ms. Kendall’s vision.
The shelter gradually evolved into the organization it is today - assuring each animal exceptional care and comfort, gentle behavioral support, excellent medical treatment and specific adoption guidelines. NHHS cares for well over 1,300 animals every year and none are ever euthanized for time, money or space constraints, rather all remain with us until they find their forever home, no matter how long that may take.
We offer low cost spay & neuters to the public, provide food through our pet food panty, offer internships to students in our medical area and social media, and have educational programs for school age children.