The People’s City Mission was started in 1907 by local churches, offering food and shelter for transient and impoverished men, women and children.
Today, the People's City Mission is Lincoln's primary homeless shelter housing 350 men, women and children on an average day. PCM provides emergency and transitional housing to both Men and Families (including single mothers).
The Mission Homeless Prevention Center opened in 1990 takes the donations our community gives us and then distribute them to low income families within the community for no cost. Here we collect and then distribute food, clothing, household items, furniture, toys, and personal care items.
The PCM Free Medical Clinic opened in July 2009 to provide free medical, dental, vision, and behavioral health care to low-income Lincoln residents without medical insurance. Today the clinic sees more uninsured patients then any other medical provider in Lincoln.
In 2015, the People’s City Mission's shelter, FREE Medical Clinic and Homeless Prevention Center combined to help nearly 30,000 people in Lincoln/Lancaster County.
PCM is financially efficient. In 2015, PCM has been able to use 89% of its donations on the needs of the less fortunate they serve. This places PCM in the top 1% of all charities in the country in regards to their financial efficiency.
In the past year we:
• Helped nearly 30,000 people in Lincoln and Lancaster County through our Family Shelter, Men's Shelter & Transitional program, Homeless Prevention Center, and our Free Medical Clinic.
• Served over 162,000 meals to the homeless. (That averages about 450 meals a day!)
• Gave away over 752,900 pounds of food at our Homeless Prevention Center.
• Provided shelter to over 1,800 men, women and children staying in our shelter.
• Provided over 18,000 patient visits to Lincoln's uninsured seeking medical care at our Free Medical Clinic.