The Torrey Pines Conservancy, formerly known as Torrey Pines Association, was founded in 1950 to encourage public interest in, and support for, the preservation of the rare Torrey pine trees and their scenic refuge. This is accomplished primarily by raising funds for special projects and by publishing informative material concerning Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve.
Since then Torrey Pines Conservancy has played an active role in:
- Achieving State Reserve/Preserve status
- Leading the campaign to acquire 168 additional acres of native trees
- Funding interpretive signs and exhibits
- Publishing informational materials and producing educational videos
- Establishing an endowment for the benefit of the Reserve
- Renovating Visitor Center facilities and the historic Guy Fleming House
- Funding bark beetle monitoring and invasive plant eradication efforts
- Supporting State Parks with equipment donations
- Sponsoring symposia and other events that increase appreciation of the Reserve
- Funding a tree census
- Monitoring the overall welfare of the Reserve and responding to projects that could reduce native habitat, cut off wildlife corridors, cause further siltation of the lagoon, or threaten the Reserve's integrity.