Freedom, Inc. (FI) is a Black and Southeast Asian non-profit organization that works with low- to no-income communities of color in Madison, WI. Our mission is to achieve social justice through coupling direct services with leadership development and community organizing that will bring about social, political, cultural, and economic change resulting in the end of violence against women, gender-non-conforming and transgender folks, and children within communities of color. FI works to challenge the root causes of violence, poverty, racism and discrimination. Our belief is that people who are most affected by these issues must have voice, power, resources and choice, in order for true social change to happen.
Our Current Work Areas
While our work is wide-ranging in response to our community's needs, some of our current work areas include: leadership development for youth and elders, domestic and sexual violence advocacy, queer justice, and community organizing. We are proudly leading the movement to gain justice for Black lives and defund police. FI is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally for its work as a strong social change home creating local policies, health initiatives and cultural shifts around health justice issues within our communities. In 2020, we worked directly with roughly 500 folks of color, with an impact on thousands more.
In our 20 years, we have been especially proud of building unity within our Black, Hmong, and Cambodian communities and develop leaders who can advocate and create change for themselves.
What Does Success Look Like to Us?
1) Our dream is to see Hmong gender-non-conforming youth and survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence, once isolated and experiencing much violence, become leaders creating new language for Hmong queer folks and organizing for community gardens. Food justice + Gender-self-love = success!
2) We want to see Black gender non-conforming youth and survivors of incarceration and homelessness, once not feeling supported or seen, become empowered and leaders in their community. Ending mass incarceration + healing = success!
Our Cultural-Specific Leadership Development Programs
Make a pledge to help us reach our goals!
With your support Freedom, Inc. can continue to end violence and build leadership in Dane County’s Southeast Asian and Black Communities. Will you help us get to our goal of raising $50,000 to fund housing, health supplies and care packages for our most impacted clients?
Other ways you can support us today:
1) Share our fundraising link above with 25 of your FB friends and change your FB photo to one of our images in the media
2) Sign up and be a fundraiser for our cause: "Freedom Inc"
3) Buy a Queer Power t-shirt at: https://www.bonfire.com/freedom-inc/
4) Buy a crowler today at Working Draft Beer Company today and $1 will be donated to our Love People Like Us Program (PLUS)- anti-violence program culturally specific for queer Black and Hmong youth. They deliver!: https://wdbc-to-go-beer.square.site/