The La Honda Educational Foundation strives to support children in the joy of learning through:
• Providing a balanced, well-defined curriculum focusing on fundamental skills and knowledge.
• Supporting our award-winning school garden/outdoor classroom. Students in preschool-5th grade work in the school garden, taking part in hands-on science, math, and social studies-based activities tied to CA State Academic Standards while learning about health, environment & sustainability. From the instructor's salary to garden maintenance, the Foundation funds it!
• Teaching a weekly "Art In Action" hands-on art curriculum for each of our three mixed grade classrooms.
• Funding a classroom aide to support our teachers during mathematics lessons.
• Supporting preschool Music & Community Story Time, provided weekly for the community ages 0-5 in partnership with the San Mateo Co. Libraries.
• Providing academic enrichment to the school curriculum through stipends and discretionary spending, allowing teachers to support interactive learning through the use of technology in the classroom.
• Funding the FoodLab -a culinary instruction program utilizing produce from our school garden. Students prepare and cook an after-school snack for everyone in the after-school program.
• Funding field trips for all classes to build on their educational experiences.
• Funding enriching, educational assemblies which are scheduled throughout the school year.
• Initiating community-based events which include the entire La Honda, Loma Mar, Skyline, Pescadero & San Gregorio communities.
John Sears opened the first La Honda School in 1870, in the second building erected in town. Even in those early days, the townspeople of La Honda recognized the importance of a community school. For almost 150 years, La Honda Elementary School has educated its community's children and LHEF continues to keep this tradition alive through supporting a diverse and rich educational experience for all La Honda Elementary children.