The data and tools necessary to truly understand how the news and public policy impact us today.
raised by 1 people
In an era when publisher consolidation, misinformation, polarization, and privacy violation have redefined the flow of information that we receive as “news,” Citizens need the data and tools necessary to truly understand how the news and public policy impact them today and into the future.
To achieve this goal, your support of the ReNews program will help launch and sustain a transformative Citizen experience of American news which we call Context Journalism.
Your donation will enable ReNews to:
- Present Citizens with a contextual experience of news providing unlimited resources a single click from any article, issue area, policy landscape, data visualization, or influencer profile viewed in the ReNews apps.
- Curate and continuously analyze a massive hypergraph of publicly available societal data to reveal every news topic, issue, and policy’s relevance to each Citizen.
- Personalize the news experience to show each Citizen their own specific position in the societal data behind the news - their economic quintile, race, gender, age range, zip code, family structure. and much more.
- Apply advanced statistical analysis, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to identify and report on pockets of societal inequity embedded in public policy, and commission independent journalism to investigate those issues.
- Document specific inequity and injustice relevant to each Citizen’s on a completely anonymous profile.
- Publish original data journalism covering the lifecycle of policy development to document the balance of Citizen benefit against corporate and other vested interests.
- Commission original Context Journalism documenting the vested interests behind the flow of influence campaigns to each Citizen through their consumption of news and political ads.
- Analyze news journalism across publishers to measure balance of coverage, and to identify and measure patterns of influence messaging manipulating Citizens to change their positions.
- Build a community of engaged Citizen-readers, journalists and academics committed to restoring journalism’s role in democracy.
- Help build a sustainable business model reinforcing the role of news in American democracy.
- ReNews is committed to providing everyone with access to high quality, deeply researched, data-based journalism regardless of their ability to pay. We do not accept advertisements, and we have no paywalls or subscription fees. We depend exclusively on the support of individuals, foundations and organizations who share our commitment to reporting on and confronting inequality.
We are committed to transparency in every aspect of our organization.
To maintain the integrity of our journalism, there is a strict firewall between funders and the newsroom. Our news judgments are made independently – not based on or influenced by donors or any revenue source. We do not give supporters the rights to assign, review, or edit content. We do not take commissions or assignments from any funder. Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their products, services, or opinions.
As a news nonprofit, we avoid accepting charitable donations from anonymous sources, government entities, political parties, elected officials, or candidates seeking public office. We will not accept donations from sources who present a conflict of interest with our work or compromise our independence.
This fundraiser supports