Southern Maryland Center for Independent Living (SMCIL) is a non-profit organization created, governed and staffed by people with disabilities. SMCIL is part of a nationwide network of Centers for Independent Living responsible for providing the following 5 core services:
* Advocacy: provides disability awareness training to community groups and business, advocacy for improved accessibility, individual and systemic advocacy to ensure civil and human rights and self-advocacy training.
* Information & Referral: an extensive database of providers and resources on disability and community related information. SMCIL provides disability-specific information and referrals to ensure access to the knowledge needed to receive or maintain independence.
* Peer Support: provides one-on-one and/or group support for individuals with disabilities by peers or mentors with similar disabilities to serve as a role model and support system
* Independent Living Skills Training: enhances and maximizes the ability of an individual with disabilities to live in and fully participate at home in their community. Examples include but are not limited to budgeting, cooking skills and nutrition, travel training, communication skills, household management, and stress management.
* Transition Services: programs that assist Consumers who are in various stages of transition.
^ Transitioning Youth (TY) - focus on school-aged individuals transitioning into productive, active, self-sufficient independent adults. Assists with transition from high school to college, work readiness, benefits and health management, education on conflict management and ensures connection to services that will promote independence.
^ Money Follow the Person (MFP) - focus on transition from an institution such as a nursing or rehab facility into the community. Informs residents about Medicaid waiver programs and assists individuals who have full Medicaid insurance and meet criteria to transition with the necessary supports.
SMCIL also provides the following Key Disability Supports:
* Assistive Technology Program - assists Consumers with the purchase of equipment and/or modifications to home or vehicle that supports independence.
* Southern Maryland Regional AT Loan Library - a collaboration with Maryland Technology Assistance Program (MD TAP) to support access to AT in Southern Maryland. Provides devices for demonstration and/or short term loan.
* Portable Ramp Access Grant - a collaboration with Maryland Technology Assistance Program (MD TAP) that provides portable ramps of various sizes for short term loan.
* SMCIL Bus - a 12 passenger wheelchair accessible bus acquired through a grant from the Rural Maryland Council (RMC) to provide Consumers transportation to SMCIL services.
* Disabled Veterans Support Network - group meets at SMCIL's office the 2nd Friday of every month for a hot meal and speaker presenting information regarding Veterans programs.
* Veterans Services Program - assists disabled Veterans with application assistance for VA disability benefits, advocacy and support.
* Veterans Training Center - open by appointment during SMCIL operating hours for Consumers to utilize and/or receive basic computer training, resume building , job search and/or application assistance.
* Social Security Benefits & Application Assistance - assists Consumers with initial application and appeals, access to SSI/SSDI forms and advocacy.
* Benefits Counseling - provided by a Community Work Incentive Coordinator (CWIC) to assist SSA benefit recipients to return to work while still receiving benefits and transition to self-sufficiency.
*Job Readiness Training - assist Consumers with job search and development, resume building and interview skills.
*Housing Advocacy and Information - assists Consumers with referrals to local housing support programs and case management with the HUD 811 program.
SMCIL is a resource and advocacy center that promotes independent living and equal access for people of all ages with all types of disabilities who reside in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's Counties.
Southern Maryland Center for Independent Living
Employer id number (ein)
Address38588 BRETT WAY STE 1