SMCIL needs your help to continue providing Bus services to Consumers and Veterans with disabilies
raised by 0 people
Access to affordable, accessible transportation in Southern Maryland is often a challenge for individuals living with disabilities. Even ADA (door-to-door) services on each of the counties bus systems is not always accessible if the individual does not live within a specified distance from a designated bus stop. Even individuals who can access their respective county bus system have difficulties getting to SMCIL services due to bus routes and the need to transfer sometimes several buses to get between the counties.
In February 2018, SMCIL acquired a 12 passenger, wheelchair accessible bus through a grant from Rural Maryland Council (RMC). This bus allows SMCIL to provide transportation to SMCIL services for Consumers who have no other means of transportation.
SMCIL's bus has transported homeless Consumers to our office to receive assistance with SSA benefits, work incentive counseling, access to the training center and to receive assistive technology to support independence.
During COVID-19, SMCIL was able to transport care packages to area churches to distribute to Seniors, Veterans, and individuals living with disabilities and their respective families.
The bus has also transported Calvert County students in SMCIL's TY program to services and trainings at the library, DORS and SMCIL's office.
SMCIL has participated annually in the Solomons Dragon Boat Festival and RetroFest on the Potomac by providing bus transportation from parking to the respective activities thus making these events accessible to individuals of ALL abilities.
SMCIL needs your help to continue providing bus services to our Consumer and partnering agencies.
How does your donation help?
- Provide transportation for up to 12 transitioning youth to participate in SMCIL's after-school program for one day
- Provide transportation for Consumers to SMCIL's office for services and home again
- Provide transportation for Veterans to attend the monthly Disabled Veterans Support Network meetings
- Allows collaboration with partnering agencies to make community events accessible through transportation from parking to the activities
- Helps cover the cost to insure the bus
- Helps cover yearly maintenance
This fundraiser supports
Southern Maryland Center for Independent Living